I am so sick of hearing about Haiti. It has become the new 'hot' cause in Hollywood and you can't go to any news website without it being front page. Have these people forgotten that we have people right here in the US that need their help? There are 200,000- 500,000 people in the US are homeless. That was the number the last time they tried to count them in the 70's. That was 40 years ago. Can you imagine how many people with our economy must now be homeless? But you do not see anyone holding telethons or writing anthems for them. These celebrities that participated helped raise a reported $57 million dollars. That money should stay here to help American citizens get back on their feet. Did you know that 40% of the homeless population is families with children? Can you imagine, even here in Phoenix, on these cold winter nights there is a child shivering wondering if they are going to eat tomorrow. Have we become so desensitized from seeing them that we can completely forget them? Reed and I have made a personal commitment to start carrying around ramen noodles in our car & truck to give to the homeless when we see them. When our fruit trees produce an over abundance of fruit we will carry that around. So I say Hope for the homeless.
Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. Henry David Thoreau
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Hope for Haiti? How about hope for the homeless...
I am so sick of hearing about Haiti. It has become the new 'hot' cause in Hollywood and you can't go to any news website without it being front page. Have these people forgotten that we have people right here in the US that need their help? There are 200,000- 500,000 people in the US are homeless. That was the number the last time they tried to count them in the 70's. That was 40 years ago. Can you imagine how many people with our economy must now be homeless? But you do not see anyone holding telethons or writing anthems for them. These celebrities that participated helped raise a reported $57 million dollars. That money should stay here to help American citizens get back on their feet. Did you know that 40% of the homeless population is families with children? Can you imagine, even here in Phoenix, on these cold winter nights there is a child shivering wondering if they are going to eat tomorrow. Have we become so desensitized from seeing them that we can completely forget them? Reed and I have made a personal commitment to start carrying around ramen noodles in our car & truck to give to the homeless when we see them. When our fruit trees produce an over abundance of fruit we will carry that around. So I say Hope for the homeless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've felt the same thing - I don't mean to sound callous - but there are so many things here at home that need attention. Our Homeless, our cities, our schools - and yet $57 million is on it's way to help a country where the government is corrupt and most likely won't go to anywhere that it will do the most good. Urgh!
Thanks Kim!
Funny. True True. However, I am intending on somehow adopting from Haiti. I need them, they need me. :-) Want to join me?
Post a Comment