As some of you know Loki was attacked by a rattle snake. Last Thursday I was rubbing on Loki and noticed a bump on his throat. Reed and I talked about it and decided to watch it and see what happened. Loki is our problem child and is always getting sick. We thought maybe another case of bronchitis had struck him. Well, by Sunday his neck, throat, and face were completely swollen and we could tell he didn't feel well at all. We even went over to Chris & Nan's on Sunday and he could have cared less about Talon which isn't like him at all. I called first thing Monday morning to the vet and then left for work. I noticed Loki had sequester himself in our downstairs half bath before I left but didn't think anything of it. Reed came down to see what he was up too and he had blood all over his neck and had gotten some on the floor. Reed cleaned him up and waited for the appointment time to come. He again went to check on Loki, noticed even more blood, cleaned him up. and headed to the vet. After examining Loki the vet announced it was a rattle snake bite. I haven't even seen a rattle snake since I moved to Arizona and certainly would have noticed if one was living in my yard. Reed challenged there diagnosis and then they showed him the 2 perfect puncture marks about the size of pencil erasers. They remarked that is was good it was a large snake because they control their venom better and this was obviously just a warning to back off. They removed dead tissue and cleaned out the wound in a minor surgery. When they called me to tell me I could pick him up around 4, they told me it most likely happened on Thursday and assured me that the wait and see approach wasn't neglect on our parts. So anyway that has been our week so far. He is on 3 drugs and we have to clean the wound at least twice a day and he has to wear an e-collar until further notice. He has a follow up appointment Monday and they told us we can expect several more and probably more surgeries too. Reed and I have no idea where the snake came from but, after a thorough search of the yard, we are sure he is gone. I didn't want to post pictures of the wound they are quite nasty and graphic. But If you want to see them click here. If that link doesn't work, shoot me at email at Kgoodman2@cox.net and I will send you an invite to see them. In summation, the vet said he will be fine, in time. We are glad he's ok. We love the little guy and
aren't ready to see him go.
No comments:
Post a Comment